Friday, February 01, 2013

Catching Up... SAFF 2012

Last fall, I had my first SAFF experience. SAFF is held each fall at the WNC Agriculture Center in Fletcher, NC, not too far from Asheville. So fun! What better way to spend a weekend than a trip to the NC mountains for some fibery fun? I went along with some lovely friends from my knitting group, and we rented a mountain cabin for a couple of nights. We did a full day at SAFF, and had a bit of time to putt around Asheville for sights and supper.


My girls know how to shop! Here is our collective haul:
SAFF Haul 2012
Makes you want to dive right on in.

Its so interesting to see what everyone comes away with. Going with a group is fun, because other people are bound to zone in on things you might not have noticed. And it's easy to miss stuff when bombarded from all directions with all the fabulous colors and textures.

I did a good job staying in my budget, but this is because I had plans for my moolah once I got home (more on that later). Some lovely things did manage to make their way home with me, though:

SAFF Haul 2012
Bottom row: The braid is from Unwind, the burgundy and gray skeins are Dream in Color Smooshy, the batt is from Tangled Up in Wool. On the next row up, the pink skein is from Steam Valley Fiber, the blue is Miss Babs (oh the looove!), and above that is a spindle from the Woolery, where I also purchased the white rug warp. At the top is some goat milk fudge and soap. The things in the upper right corner belong to someone else.

I went to SAFF with a list, thinking that would help me keep on from impulse buys, but honestly, I don't think this is a great way to shop at this type of event. I quickly gave up on looking for anything specific (except, perhaps, some particular vendors I knew I wanted to buy from), and just let things speak to me. My practice is to wander around the floor, see what catches my eye, and if something sticks in my mind after I've left the booth, I go back for it later.
SAFF Haul 2012

After we laid out all of our things together, I made sure to make notes of things that I wanted to check out next year in my SAFF booklet. Next year I'll have my eyes out for a project bag from Fleruy Sheep and Wool, Buda Botanicals fennel soap, and lace yarn from Skaska!

No comments:

Post a Comment