Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Finally!

I've been waiting almost a year to post this.

Around this time last year, I assisted at a couple Twinkle Knit nights at the Anthropologie flagship store, which were set up to promote the Big City Knits book. Shortly after, I got an email asking if I'd be interested in test knitting a couple of patterns for an upcoming book. "WOULD I?!" I shouted whilst doing cartwheels, "SEND IT ON OVER!" I should probably mention that Twinkle was one of my favorite designers to watch long before I was an avid knitter. I always loved her mixes of color, texture and sizes that she used in her lines. So as a fan, you can imagine how excited I was to see and knit some of the patterns before they were published. Kind of like interning for your favorite record label.

Test knitters were sent 1 or 2 patterns plus the yarn required to knit the project. We had a little over 1 month to complete our projects, and then had to send them back to the Twinkle office to be checked over, along with any notes, etc. After another month or so, I was able to pick up my projects to take home to keep.

Now that Twinkle's Town and Country Knits has been published, I can show the two sweaters I knit.
This is the Mistral Cardigan. I love the large collar and the puffed sleeves. I like it. Granted, it could use some blocking... my bad. This is done in the Soft Chunky yarn.
Details:
Pattern: Mistral Cardigan , from Town and Country Knits
Yarn
: Twinkle Soft Chunky, in Rain
Ravelry project link

This one is the Pacifica Jacket. This was a fun sweater to knit, but the style isn't really for me. I found that the shoulder seams want to sit on my upper arms unless I adjust them back up to where they belong on the shoulders. I've never been a fan of a cropped length for tops, so I think I might re-knit this into another pattern from the book. This used 4 strands of the Cruise yarn held together.
It looks cuter on the model in the book. I think that they have it sized to be more fitted in those photos, and in my opinion, that seems to work better as a more close-fit sweater.

This sweater requires crochet to finish the bottom edging. Luckily, I was visiting my parents for my Dad's birthday at the time so I was able to get a lesson from my Mom, who is an expert crocheter.

Details:
Pattern: Pacifica Jacket, from Town and Country Knits
Yarn: Twinkle Cruise, in Capri
Ravelry project link


All in all, I like the patterns in the new book. I have already picked out a couple that I'd like to work up this fall.

10 comments:

  1. I really like the Pacifica jacket, especially in that color. I think that one's definitely going into my queue. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you, that's so exciting! I really like the first one and that colour really suits you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, amazing work. The mistral cardigan is great. Did you get them back? Do you get to sport them around town now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! How exciting to get a first glimpse and to be the first to knit a new design!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun to be a test knitter for such amazing patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh lucky you! Great yarn, great patterns and you had it all for free and way earlier than the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are gorgeous! That was such an exciting and awesome opportunity

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love them both on you, actually. Hmmm, these patterns may bring my mojo back...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember that you got to do that. So cool! And it's especially great that you ended up getting to keep to garments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How awesome! Both sweaters looks great.

    ReplyDelete