Friday, August 08, 2008

Foodie Friday :: Apple Butter edition

Last weekend I had a couple apples that were a bit overripe, so I decided to try my hand at Apple butter. Since I happened to have some plums around, I tossed them into the mix. I researched a few recipes and combined a couple to come up with the following recipe--it is delicious. I brought in the jar to work and have been enjoying it as my breakfast every day this week.

Apple-Plum Butter
3 Apples
4 plums
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. nutmeg
1/4 t. allspice

Boil apples and plums in the water and cider vinegar for 20 minutes. Let cool.
Blend using an immersion or regular blender until smooth. Add the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice, and return to heat.
Boil the puree for about 30 minutes until dark and thickened. As it thickens, the boiling mixture will cause spattering, so I just perched the lid of the pot covering most of the pan with a large enough space for the majority of the steam to escape.
Fill a jar and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks (as if it'll last that long!). I had a bit extra on top of this jar, so I put it into a plastic container to freeze. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! I have to make this.... I love apple butter and I haven't been able to find any here in sweden

    ReplyDelete