Wednesday, May 21, 2008

what to do?

What to do when you don’t know what to do?

Decor8 had a series of posts a few weeks ago of interviews with some entrepreneurs who have managed to find their way and carve out niches in the wide world of design and craft. For me it’s encouraging to read about the different ways people end up where they are – some who tried out different things, and some fell into their creative endeavors after a long time spent in a completely different field, and some who subsidize their day-to-day jobs with creative endeavors in their “off-hours.”

There are 7 interviews:

Marcia Zia-Priven (Zia-Priven Design); lighting designer

Lisa Congdon (Lisa Congdon); artist/illustrator

Irene Hoofs (Bloesem, Bloesem Kids); professional blogger, on things crafty and creative

Thorsten Becker (Thorsten’s Flickr); a guy’s perspective from someone who does a bit of everything

Fernanda Bourlot (Simplemente Blanco); interior designer, product designer, and boutique co-owner

Paola Thomas (MirrorMirror); blogger and online shop owner

Heather Moore (SkinnyLaMinx); surface pattern designer and writer

I love the design world, and I’ve been trying to hone in on what it is that I like the best about it, and in which aspects I might have (or could develop) some talent. I like pattern, paper, textiles, and printing, and am trying to figure out where I can be unique within those boundaries. At the same time, though, I have some guilt about waste and promoting consumerism, so how to rectify that? Would I be happy to just do it as a side hobby, or would I start to hate ANYTHING once it becomes something I HAVE to do? I feel like I’ve been batting around these questions forever (don’t most of us?) -- the answer is there somewhere…

Or maybe this is the answer: on a different note, and also a topic I find intriguing, Ethan Brook over at the Epicurious blog has started writing a series on How to Become a Farmer . I'm enjoying these articles. The preconceived notion is that farming is a simpler life, although it’s clear this isn’t the case. Besides the fact that farming itself takes a lot of work, a lot of people also maintain full-time jobs outside of their farm life. Okay, so I’m pretty darn sure I’m not going to all-out go and start a farm anyways, but I do hope one day to have some property where I can raise a few animals, grow some vegetables, and maybe even have a hammock (all it takes it TWO trees.).

We'll now return to our regularly scheduled pondering... now.

3 comments:

  1. Polyvore is another site that is mainly a playground for little girls in us. Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have so many conflicting feelings about my superficial, commercial, consumption promoting, yet fun, low-stress, and semi-creative occupation. Let me know if you find the answer out on the farm. I'll follow you, k?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been following this thread on Decor8 and on design for mankind (design blog geek, right here!), and it's such an interesting concept. All the creativ epeopel I know are really struggling with findig something completely original, and then carving a career out of it in their homes. I love reading the stories of how poepel got started, their rough patches, and how it worked out and what they did. That's the kind of stuff I find inspiring.

    - Julie

    ReplyDelete