Tuesday, May 20, 2008

oh, alas...

I spoke too soon! Misti Pima Cotton/Silk = bad yarn for Barbarella. Look:

Not cute. It just doesn't have the polished feel that the sweater really needs. I love the yarn, I love the pattern, but the yarn and pattern do not love each other. I tried out some various swatching with different needle sizes, and it's just not coming together. I'll keep an eye on the pattern, but since I have all this yarn so it's to the internet to search for patterns.

I found and cast on for another Drops sweater. This time it is Drops 105-5.


I've liked these little flared swing jackets that have been popping up, and in cotton it will be a nice cover up for the office and chilly evenings. Also, it's worked in once piece starting with the moss stitch band in the middle. Hardly any seaming! Sounds like a plan.

Back to what to do about Barbarella... I have this Turquoise Tunic which was one of the first sweaters I ever knit. I don't wear it and am thinking about reclaiming the yarn and trying to overdye some of it for a main color. It's Knit Picks Shine (sport weight, I think), and I want to turn it darker and probably more blue. I'm not real picky about how the color comes out, I just don't care for the teal color. Anyone have experience dying Cotton yarn? It also has some Modal in it. I hear that Procion MX will be a good type of dye to test out -- anyone have experience with it? Procion MX is for cellulose fibers and should work on cotton...

3 comments:

  1. Oh, too bad :(
    I've only dyed wool yarn, and I've heard that it's a bit tricky to get a vibrant color on cotton. But I think you're up to the cahllenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks so much for the link to that adorable cardi! it is great!
    the Turquoise Tunic was amazing... you should wear it! but of course, it is up to you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Drops cardigan ... it should be lovely in the Barbarella yarn.

    ReplyDelete