Friday, May 23, 2008

Foodie Friday: Belated Cinco de Mayo Editon

Recipe: Fish Tacos
I made these delicious fish tacos a couple of weeks ago for Cinco de Mayo (and another time since then). The fresh, crunchy ingredients are perfect for a non-heavy meal in the warmer weather.
I got the recipe from Serious Eats, but it was adapted from Everyday Food: Great Food Fast. I included the additions that I made. In this case, I used frozen Sole from Whole Foods. I like the spicyness of the recipe, but I'm not a huge fan of tons of jalapeno flavor, so I reduced the original amount of jalapeno and added cayenne for some extra heat.

Fish Tacos
-serves 4-

Ingredients

1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream or plain yogurt
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
1/4 small red cabbage, thinly shredded (about 2 1/2 cups)
2 scallions, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cu)
1 jalapeno chile, halved lengthwise, one quarter finely minced
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound tilapia fillets (or other firm white fish), cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 cup flour
8 flour tortillas (6-inch)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
2 ripe avocados

Procedure

1). In a large bowl, combine the sour cream and lime juice; season with salt and pepper. Transfer half the mixture to another container; set aside for serving. Toss the cabbage, scallions, cayenne, and minced jalapeno with the remaining sour-cream mixture. Season again with salt and pepper.

2). Warm the tortillas. I do this in the oven between 2 heat-safe plates.

3). In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil and remaining jalapeno half over medium-high heat; swirl to coat the bottom of the pan and allow the jalapeno to infuse the oil. Season the fish on both sides with salt and pepper. Dredge each piece of fish in the flour. Cook the fish until golden brown on all sides, 5 to 6 minutes. Discard the jalapeno.

4). Fill the tortillas with slaw, fish, fresh cilantro leaves, and avocado. Drizzle with the reserved sour-cream mixture and serve immediately.

Recipe Library
In A Hurry Green Curry, Heather's Farro- 101 Cookbooks
Chocolate-Filled Double Delight Peanut Butter Cookies (a homemade take on the Pillsbury Bake-off grand prize recipe) - Baking Bites
Curried Tofu with Soy Sauce; Pasta with Butter, Sage, & Tarragon; Fast Tandoori Chicken - Mark Bittman/NYT
Green Beans with Walnut-Miso Sauce - The Kitchen
Dan Barber's Brussels Sprouts; Fish Tacos - Serious Eats

3 comments:

  1. Oh, avocado in a wrap! That's a good idea... Too bad I didn't see this earlier, before I made some wraps with soy a couple of hours ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look amazing! I've never ever had fish tacos before. I don't think people here (in England) eat them very much. I'm going to try them very soon though - they look yummy. And any recipe which contains the instruction 'fill with avocado' is bound to be a hit with me.
    Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete