Wednesday, April 09, 2008

i miss my blog...

There's so much going on these days. The biggest event being that my company moved out of Manhattan and into New Jersey, effectively raising my commute to a bit under 3 hours daily--it's just not very convenient to Brooklyn. It's been such a drag, but I'm now starting to settle in to the routine--so it is all right. For now. Newark, is certainly not my most favorite place in the world. I miss running errands or running to a yarn store or exhibit conveniently during lunch, or easily meeting friends after work for dinner and drinks. Street meat. A lot of logistics have become a lot more complicated. I rarely get to spend time in Manhattan, and when my friends have shows or gatherings in the weeknight evenings, its hard to attend because I have to get to bed early for fear of oversleeping and missing my morning train.

The good thing is that this type of discomfort makes me take a step back and re-evaluate where I am and where I want to be, professionally, creatively, geographically... Honestly, I don't have a definite solution (um, I guess most of us have this problem forever), but these things will mill around in my head over the next couple of months until I come up with a plan.

In the meantime, I planned a vacation to Ireland! Go green! Shandys and tin whistles! I'll be heading out at the end of May for about a week. My roommates, Tessa and Liz will be spending time over there this summer and have invited me for a visit. Tessa's family has a cafe and garden, and it just looks lovely. I can't wait. Vacation = necessary for sanity.

I've been working on the Gathered Pullover from the Winter 2007 Interweave Knits. It has been a relatively quick and painless knit. I've finished the body and sleeves, and last night I picked up the stitches around the neck. I'll still have to knit those and seam and block.
Gathered Pullover, in progress
Just in time for spring of course! Here, it's just starting to warm up. On our lucky days we are getting temperatures in the mid-60s. I could actually still wear this as long as this weather holds out for another week or two. Although I wouldn't complain if the warmer weather wanted to reveal itself already!

6 comments:

  1. Hey, that sucks about your commute. But maybe more knitting time!

    Yeah, the whole commuting/living thing in NYC can be sucky though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pullover looks great! I love the color you chose.

    Hope you'll find a way to stay in New York. It's a fabulous city.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear about your longer commute! But I am really glad that you planned a vacation for yourself. Definitely imperative to keep your sanity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When the going gets tough, the tough go to Ireland! Love that idea! :D The Gathered Pullover looks really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear your job moved. The thing I dreaded most about my move to Queens was the hour commute to my job in Manhattan but I eventually embraced the extra time to knit or just stare off into space and have the random thoughts I usually only get in the shower or the car. Just keep a little notepad to write those little gems down!

    ReplyDelete
  6. three hours of commuting is way too much! I hope you're at least sneaking some knitting in that time and that you soon find something closer to home.

    your sweater is looking great, I hope you got a chance to wear it during this cold snap

    ReplyDelete