Thursday, April 10, 2008

Foodie Friday

It's been a long while since I've done a ff post.

Recipe: Collard Greens


Asian collards
A couple of weekends ago I picked up a bunch of collard greens at the green market in Park Slope. I wanted to do something tasty that wouldn't destroy everything nutritious by overcooking and rendering it completely soggy, so I extrapolated from a few recipes and did with an Asian-flavored take. By only cooking for a few minutes, the collards stay slightly crisp with some bite. I used some whole flax seeds too, for extra heart-healthiness. I eat a whole bunch as my dinner, but it would of course, make more sense as a side with some other things to round it out for a full meal.

Asian Collards
1 bunch collard greens
1 T. olive oil
4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 T. soy sauce
2 t. sesame oil
pinch cayenne
1 T. Flax seeds (or sesame seeds)

  1. 1. Take each collard leaf and remove the tough center stems by cutting along each side of it with a knife. Stack a few leaves and roll them longways. Slice into 1/2" strips. Rinse in colander. Don't worry about getting all the water off--it will help the leaves steam in the pot.
  2. Heat olive oil in a large, heavy soup pot. Add garlic and saute for a few minutes (don't let it brown). Add the greens and cover pot with lid. Toss every few minutes to make sure leaves aren't sticking to the sides or bottom. Continue steaming for about 8-10 minutes. Test a leaf for tenderness. They're probably good when you consider them to be al dente.
  3. Remove the pot from the heat and add the rest of the ingredients and toss.
Foodie Tip: Sponges

Sponges hold on to everything gross and are a breeding ground for bacteria and other microorganisms. Not exactly the thing you want to scrub over the tines of your fork before sticking it your risotto, right?

Throw damp sponges in the microwave for about two minutes (KEEP AN EYE ON THEM!) and kill those nasty little suckers dead good. (From The Kitchen).

Revisiting: Brought My Lunch

office lunch 3/24/08
Lunch 3/24/08 - Leftover Frittata


Awhile ago, I participated in a Flickr pool/contest hosted by 52 Projects where participants brought their lunches to work everyday and photographed them. For that one particular week, I went all out to be creative and varied with my lunches (and I won the first round! But I don't think I ever ended up mentioning it here). Afterward, I did continue to bring my lunches for a lot of the time, which I like because i think it is healthier, more cost-effective, and more environmentally friendly (re-use containers from the supermarket!). I've been lazy about photographing them, though, because I also tend to get stuck in a rut and bring the same thing in for a string of days in a row, occasionally punctuated by a take-out lunch for a treat, or if I ran out of time the day before.

Now that I'm working where take-out options are scarce, I'm going to try to be more interesting in the meals that I bring with me to work again.

I'm looking through the flickr pool for some ideas... What do you guys like to prepare for lunch that is easily transportable and can stand up to a commute? Any favorites out there?



3 comments:

  1. I've been missing your blog!
    I also make my collards the asian way after my southern boyfriend would constantly boil everything good out of them, including the taste. I've never used flax seeds though, which sounds really good (and healthy)--thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks amazing!

    For lunches, I like to take things like quinoa salads, chickpea salad, roasted vegetables, cold chicken with a bagel on the side, quiche, etc. Frittata is also a good one. Also, leftovers rock. Real food! No effort! Anyways, I'm always short of lunch ideas too though so I'm going to check out the Flickr pool :)

    I remember when they published that sponge tip on the BBC website here in England, some stupid person managed to set fire to their sponge so they had to issue an official warning about it, see it here:

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6293735.stm

    People really are stupid sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool that you won that flickr contest. I'm pretty tame with my lunches - turkey sandwich almost every day. That or leftovers... nothing too exciting.

    ReplyDelete