Monday, April 28, 2008

FO :: Gathered Pullover



I saw someone on Ravelry use a turned hem on this sweater (although now a few people have done it and I can't remember which one in particular prompted me to do it in the first place), and I followed by knitting one right into the sweater with the dark brown contrasting yarn. I found instructions here on NonaKnits. As you can see, it's adding a little bit of bulk and a very visible seam. I also picked up the contrasting color at the V-neck, because I thought it would be nice to have some added contrast at the neckline between skin and sweater.

turned hem



It was such a low-key, easy and relaxing knit. After casting on, there is about 8" of straight stockinette in the round--great for TV knitting. As per usual, I got a bit stuck on the finishing. It's the make or break point of a sweater for me, and the trouble I have with seaming often makes me go from loving sweater to hating it.

Not in this case though! I love the fit of it, and I am really happy with the knitting. I wish the neckline were just a smidge closer, but this is ok as long as I have a cami underneath. It's my most successful knit so far!

Gathered Pullover

Details:
Pattern: Gathered Pullover from Interweave Knits, Winter 2008
Yarn: Berroco Ultra Alpaca

I had heard that the Berroco Ultra Alpaca grows a ton when wet-blocked, so I was afraid to go all the way to do that to the entire sweater. Instead, I gently pinned it out and used the sprayer that is on my iron plus some steam. It helped the shoulder seams immensely, which is where it needed the most blocking. The rest was virtually unchanged in terms of overall shape, but it helped to give it an overall more finished look:


Unblocked vs. blocked

22 comments:

  1. That looks so good on you! Truly, it is one of the most successful ones I've seen, and the contrast bits on the edges add a really great touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree, it looks beautiful on you! this is my favorite version of this pattern so far. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that looks wonderful...I may have to add that to my queue! I'll also take this opportunity to add that your comment on my Raspy (the one about Cedar Point and matchy-matchy sweaters) just about made me fall out of my chair with laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done! Fits so nicely and looks like something I'd want to wear all the time. Thanks for doing the before and after blocking shots- it's interesting to see how the cable detail became much more even and vertical afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the sweater, too. The color is great and the contrasting bits look lovely! So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the nicest one that I've seen too - it's just gorgeous, and it really suits you. I love the idea of the contrasting edge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your sweater is absolutely gorgeous. I love those colors, especially the darker shade at the hem turn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks fantastic!! Congrats on your most successful knit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Could this have turned out any better? simply put, Nope, not all ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never seen a completed gathered pullover! It looks lovely, and I really like the contrast edgings.
    Were your FO pics taken in NJ? All of a sudden, it seems a little less urban!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your mods on this sweater. This is much nicer than the original. The hemline on the original has always bugged me.

    Thanks for the comment on my blog!

    Shea

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great! The CC was a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic! Looks great and Ultra Alpaca is soooo soft and lovely. Now I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, you knit fast! Looks great on.

    do you happen to know what happened to Nona? She hasn't posted since last November. Did I miss something?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it. I really like the mods you made and the sweater fits you like a dream. Congrats on a great FO!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks great! I never think to do things like hems, but it really made the end product look more finished--it's perfect, especially with the contrast color, great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow! it looks great! I love the neutral color...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it in the color you chose along with the contrast. It's just very *you.*

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the colors you chose. The contrasting hem is the perfect finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete