Tuesday, February 19, 2008

FO :: Drops Jacket

I'm so glad to have finally finished this. The Drops Jacket (103-1) that's been awfully popular since last fall (350 in Ravelry!). There's no good reason to have taken 4 months to complete this, although I did have some other projects in the meantime.

Drops Jacket.jpg
I learned that wet blocking before seaming isn't necessarily the best idea. The measurements for the shoulders got wonky and made the seaming really difficult. In the meantime I read that it might be better to steam block before seaming, and then do a wet block once it's all put together. A second wet block took care of the problem and all in all, I'm pleased with how it came out.

I had a lot of inquiries regarding using the Knit Picks Wool of the Andes Bulky yarn for this sweater. I think it would work better at a smaller gauge with some of the math reworked instead of forcing the gauge via needle size, which is what I did. I'm not 100% pleased with the drape of the fabric, but this is also a function of the 100% wool. Hopefully it will soften with some wear. Some of what is aesthetically pleasing in the original photo is the drape of the fabric, and I think that could be better achieved using some sort of blended wool, or something else altogether.
Drops Jacket FO

Project Details:
Pattern: Drops 103-1
Yarn: Knit Picks WOTA Bulky in Pewter
Completed: Feb. 2008
Modifications: Not many. I added some length.

9 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous!! YOu look amazing in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I've been stalking that pattern on Ravelry for awhile now... Thanks for the info on the WOTA Bulky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! I like the dark gray color and the longer length.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful job! I like the longer length - it looks perfect on you. (You're very photogenic!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is def on my "Toknit" list, and yours brings it up closer to the top of the list. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it came out great and it looks fabulous on you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks fantastic! Thanks for the tip on steam blocking then seaming, then wet blocking. Now I'm thinking of all the times that probably would have been the perfect solution...

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome! I love it. Great photos of you, too!

    ReplyDelete