Friday, February 15, 2008

Foodie Friday :: Sushi

The weekend before last I took a sushi-making class at Soy in Manhattan on the Lower East Side. It was a 2 hour class, where we learned how to make sushi rice, prepare the ingredients, and roll regular, inside-out, and hand rolls. With only 4 of in the class, it gave us all a chance to do some slicing, and rolling.

Sushi Class - Soy NYC
Getting ready to make rolls

Sushi Ingredients
Sushi ingredients

Rice bed for California roll
Getting ready to make a California Roll

California Roll
California Roll

Eel and cucumber roll
Eel and Cucumber Roll

Spicy tuna hand roll
Spicy Tuna Hand Roll

It was fun to take a little master class. It was a really affordable course and we got to eat all of the sushi we made--I even had enough left over to take a bit home. I was always intimidated by sushi rice and how to make it correctly, so I have a slightly better grasp on that, even though my rolling technique leaves much to be desired. Practice makes perfect and not long from now I'll have a new party skill!

Now I would love to take more cooking classes. No cuisine is safe! Indian, Indonesian, Thai, Southern, French! Knife skills! Pastries!

Visit Soy at soynyc.com to find out about the restaurant or classes.

7 comments:

  1. That looks like so much fun! I'd love to learn how to make sushi... and California rolls... mmmm. Beautiful photographs, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that looks like such fun! Not to mention yummy. I'm jealous :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that looks really yummy. It's just like knitting in a way to take all the raw ingredients and make something really cool with it...only difference that you eat the FO in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My girlfriends and I are in search of our next cooking class and this looks like fun. We took a class at the Inst. of Culinary Education a couple of months back and had so much fun - although I wish the class size was a tad smaller.

    Just curious if they suggested a good/safe place to buy fish from? - Marichelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. so much fun and such lovely photos too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, those look so awesome and delicious! I love sushi.

    - Julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Double that! Man, I need lunch. ugh!
    -jensun

    ReplyDelete