Thursday, September 06, 2007

vintage inspiration


A few months ago, my stylist friend Celine told me about a place in Brooklyn that sold authentic, pristine, vintage knit sweaters. It sounded really cool, but it slipped my mind and I never researched into it further. Until today when the Craft Magazine Blog announced the opening of the Ohio Knitting Mills online store, and yay for lazy me! I can check out these beauties from the comfort of my own home!

The garments were produced between 1947-1974, and I love looking at the textures and the shapes, the crazy geometrical patterns and the various color combinations I would never think to put together. It appears that they only have one (or very few) of each style, so I imagine that the photos will change here occasionally as they go through their stock. Or if you're in the Brooklyn vicinity, stop by and check out their showroom.

5 comments:

  1. I went to the store in Brooklyn, and if I remember correctly, there was an overwhelming amount of acrylic... But maybe their stock had some turnover?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting on my blog! The baby sweater pattern is definitely a keeper it knit up super quickly. I am planning on casting on another one right away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, lots of acrylic babies, but great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful sweaterly inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific! Another way for me to not do work. What a wonderful source of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete