Friday, July 13, 2007

the return of the knitting content

Well, I've now scrapped the idea of trying to use the Cascade 220 Tweed for the Fitted Knits Textured Tunic. I knew when ordering that there was a good chance I wouldn't like the fabric it would make at the required gauge. Instead, I frogged what little work I'd done, took a few days to search around Ravelry and the interwebs to find a suitable replacement pattern, and finally settled on with Cosmicpluto's Cavern' Cardigan. It uses just the same amount of yarn that I have on hand, it's worked in one piece from the top-down, and because it's worked back and forth (instead of in the round) with seed stitch edging, it remains interesting to knit. It's brilliant, really. And so far, through this pattern, I've learned a). That I love seed stitch and b). I love seed stitch against a cable cast-on. Love love.

cavern cardigan - in progress

Now, about that yarn. I love the base color ("persimmon," although I do believe that persimmons are orange in real life), but those primary-colored flecks in the red yarn kinda make me think Ronald McDonald's Playland. It's not a huge deal, though, I'm just being a bit snarky.

7 comments:

  1. It's off to a beautiful start! I love that color. I'm a huge fan of seed stitch as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, not Ronald McDonald at all! Plus, those tweed flecks often come out anyway (but I wouldn't worry about the colors). Gret pattern choice. I love seed stitch too :)

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the yarn and the color is great - esp for what you're making. It won't be overwhelming and specks are all about the detail.. I've been eyeing the yarn so looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the persimmon color a lot, but I know what you mean about the flecks.. the only tweed I've fully fallen in love with is a Homespun tweed in a cream colorway w/brown and caramel flecks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i really love the color and i didn't think ronald mcdonald at all. i think the red is a beautiful, strong, adult shade that will look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That color reminds me of fall. Candy apples and falling leaves...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cascade 220 tweed is real lovely! I´m finishing my Forecast from knitty from this yarn and it´s great :) You made me want to make a cavern as well!

    ReplyDelete