Thursday, May 31, 2007

shopping tunic

Big City Knits is a great book to knit from if you need some fairly instant gratification. Super-bulky yarn and big ol' needles means only about 3 evenings of decent knitting to finish the Shopping Tunic:



I substituted Cascade Magnum for the Twinkle line of yarn as it was slightly more in my price range for the yardage. I haven't had a chance to see Twinkle's yarn in person (though I only hear amazing things about it), but from the photos of projects others have completed from the book, it seems like a pretty good substitution. The Twinkle yarns come in some ahmaaaazing colors, though...

I'm really pleased with it! I've liked the pattern since seeing it in Vogue Knitting last winter. Putting it on for the first time I didn't love it as much as I had hoped - BUT, I let it sit for a week and now looking at the photos I'm happy with it again.

So much that I'm going to include the happy sunshine shot:



Project Details
Pattern: Shopping Tunic from Big City Knits
Yarn: Cascade Magnum in Lichen (just over 2 skeins)
Needles: US16
Finished: May, 2007

12 comments:

  1. it looks really nice on you! and wow for finishing so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very stylish! I remember when the pattern came out, I wondered practical a super warm, short-sleeved sweater was. But it's so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that's a fast and pretty knit! Great color.

    Oh and I played the violin for many years growing up, too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it in this color! It looks gorgeous on you -- and even with the bulky yarn, it has nice shaping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks incredible on you! I was suspicious when I saw how bulky the yarn she uses in her designs really is, but now I can see that the FOs are fitted and sexy, not enormous and ... well, bulky.

    Twinkle yarn is incredibly soft, by the way. I saw it at a yarn store the other week and petted it. It feels amazing but is just a tad out of my price range too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great substitution and great color. Nothing like instant gratification that also looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! Is the yarn hot? I worry that the sweater will be too warm to wear sleeveless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your ST is wonderful. The magnum looks like it worked out really nicely as a sub, and I love the color. I dig the photostyling, too. Great spot, is it your roof?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am convinced that I need to make this now, seeing yours and shopirl's FOs. Have the book. Need to get yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 3 days for a sweater, damn! It looks really fabulous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that looks fantastic!! I really need to pick up a copy of that book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your tunic turned out great! I love the colour you chose- so earthy. And I'm a girl who loves a good earth-tone.

    ReplyDelete