Monday, April 16, 2007

thats a lot of stockinette

This weekend I finally made it to the Radical Lace and Subversive Knitting exhibit at the Museum of Art and Design. I love when the lines between “craft” or “applied arts” become blurred with those of so-called “fine art,” challenging the assumptions of what many people believe to be a lower-form of creative expression. Being an avid knitter who’s constantly scouring the internet, I see those lines crossed all the time, but I suppose that the widespread assumptions may still be somewhat antiquated and stigmatized.

A few of the pieces were what my friend Celene calls “OCD art.” Meaning that the handmade detail work is obviously detailed and repetitive (and executed perfectly!). One piece, which was three large rolls of coated fabric, had been cut into intricate lace patters BY HAND WITH AN EXACTO KNIFE. Good lord – but it sure was pretty.

On a personal knitting note, I am 98% finished with Glee. Hopefully to have a FO by the end of next weekend (or earlier depending on knitting time this week, which doesn’t look very promising). I’m happy to say, I’ve finished the body and tried it on and it fits great! Just needs to have the button bands finished, and the ribbing on the sleeves picked up and ribbed. I’m nearing the end of the yarn, so I’m crossing fingers for it to last for these last bits of finishing. Worst case scenario will be to do the sleeve ribbings in a contrasting color – hopefully I have something in my stash that will work.

No comments:

Post a Comment